Clicking on the links below opens that Chapter’s Study Guide with themes, summaries, keywords and review questions.
- History’s Story
- Wanderers and Settlers: The Ancient Middle East to 400 B.C.
- The Chosen People: Hebrews and Jews, 2000 B.C. to A.D. 135
- Trial of the Hellenes: The Ancient Greeks, 1200 B.C. to A.D. 146
- Imperium Romanum: The Romans, 753 B.C. to A.D. 300
- The Revolutionary Rabbi: Christianity, the Roman Empire, and Islam, 4 B.C. to A.D. 1453
- From Old Rome to the New West: The Early Middle Ages, A.D. 500 to 1000
- The Medieval Mêlée: The High and Later Middle Ages, 1000 to 1500
- Making the Modern World: The Renaissance and Reformation, 1400 to 1648
- Liberation of Mind and Body: Early Modern Europe, 1543 to 1815
- Mastery of the Machine: The Industrial Revolution, 1764 to 1914
- The Westerner’s Burden: Imperialism and Nationalism, 1810 to 1918
- Rejections of Democracy: The InterWar Years and World War II, 1918 to 1945
- A World Divided: The Early Cold War, 1945 to 1980
- Into the Future: The Contemporary Era, 1980 to the Present
Epilogue: Why Western Civilization?
Last Updated: 24 November 2012